Monday, January 31, 2005

HAVE IT YOUR WAY®?


What Exactly is a Whopper anyway? Any man worth his fancy ketchup has eaten at least a gross of Burger King's signature sandwich in his day. And I would hope that we all know what goes into making its Mickey D's equivalent - in stature, if not ingredients - the Big Mac (hint: it includes 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onion, all piled delectably high on a sesamee seed bun). Riddle me this: if you order a Big Mac without the "special sauce", is it still truly a Big Mac? 'Course not, fool.
So what is it that makes up a WHOPPER®? Well, I'm so glad you asked! The Original WHOPPER® Sandwich has been doing its thing since 1957. It's a fire-grilled classic and everything you would expect from a great-tasting burger – 1/4 pound of (grey) beef, red ripe tomatoes, crisp lettuce, creamy mayonnaise, ketchup, crunchy pickles and onions all on a freshly baked bun. In the interest of full disclosure, let me admit right now that I have what some consider an odd taste in burgers. I don't like bacon on them in most cases. With fast food, I am more apt to order a hamburger than a cheeseburger (I love cheese, but American singles are the ugly stepsister of cheeses). I am not really a proponent of the double patty. I preferred the WHOPPER® to the old school Riva's House Burger. But don't let minor facts steer you off course. I know my fast food. I'll sing you a jingle to prove it. I know who has a deal going for what. I don't like to eat things that don't leave me bloated and reaching for Tums.
Here is where things really get ugly. Little Johnny Jitters and I have a running argument; he says that he loves to order "Whoppers" at BK, but herein lies the rub: he orders them sans mayo. Shudder. It isn't that someone would order a burger without mayo. I usually prefer them that way myself. Especially that weird cold mayo and unmelted cheese crap they try to pull at Wendy's. But it ain't a WHOPPER®, there is just something about the nasty way the ketchup and creamy bird period extract melt togetther. I would argue that it is just as much a part of the signature tase that makes an ordinary burger a WHOPPER®, as the "special sauce" is a necessary part of the Big Mac. What is the main ingredient in that "special sauce" anyway, if not that same creamy mayonaisse? Part of what makes eating a WHOPPER® the unique culinary experience that it is is the distinctive scent that it leaves on your hands for the next 36 hours. I will not argue this. Goddammit, there is just something un-American about ordering your sandwich that way and still having the audacity to call it a WHOPPER®. Who's with me?

Coming next week...KFC vs. Popeye's, the blind taste test!

4 Comments:

Blogger Toastie said...

I like where Javen is coming from. There is something about the mixture of ketchup and diluted mayonaise that tastes absolutely orgasmic. Uhhh....Uhhhh....Uhhh...OH GOD. That's baby makin' music right there. I agree with the notion that mayo does not belong on a burger, I used to think otherwise but soon felt the error of my ways. However, mayo, not glopped on mind you, definitely belongs on lets say, a chicken sandwich. However bonus points offered for creativity, namely Jitters usage of honey mustard on wendy's spicy chicken. You know who has good honey mustard, tully's. Its almost like a spicy honey mustard, and everyone knows that spicy mustard is where its at. Oh, me so hungy. Who's up for some Tully's??

5:55 AM  
Blogger Ban-dingo said...

Just how many Whoppers are in a gross anyway?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Bojangles said...

I just ate a Whopper Jr. with extra pickles. It was delicious. Now I have that special stench on my fingers. You don't get that special stench just anywhere. And you don't get it without the mayo.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Willie Moe said...

well, Javen's right of course! You can't argue with him! Tee-hee, just kidding! But not really. Just getting nostalgic bout one of those classic Javen- Willie Moe "debates"! But actually the whoppper is in reference to the size of the burger, isn't it? I had a Whopper the other day, sans the onions! How's you like them apples, Javen? But really Jitter, slap some mayo on there and get over it! Oh and belated Happy Birthday, I haven't been on the internets in like two or three weeks. Send me your international address and you'll get a surprise.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home